Thursday, October 27, 2011

Rocktoberfest Half - 1:37:44

Let's start with the basics.



  • I ran 1:37:44 which since I can't remember how fast the few 1/2's I ran in my teens (aka "where my PR's live"), it's my PR.


  • It was on a hilly course, while my lungs were still on the comeback trail after recovering from pneumonia, so I think my marathon PR is toasted the next time I run.


  • Rocktoberfest is a shitty name for a race. It sounds like something coined by a horrible modern rock station that reminds you that Nickleback is coming up next after these words from All-American Auto Sales. My main motivation to set a new half marathon PR is so I never have to say/write the word "Rocktoberfest" again.

As always, I was a bundle of nerves the night before. My legs felt rested, but with a recent 12 day window of no activity (unless you count coughing up blood as x-training...), they were likely over-rested. I was heavier than I would like to have been after the rest, and raceday felt like a big mystery. I decided this was the best time to come up with a plan, stick to the plan stubbornly, and hope for the best.



The plan: Run 7:30's until my legs gave up completely. Hopefully this would give me enough cushion to get under 1:40, knowing that the end of the race had a few hills.



The execution (what went right): Stuck to my guns. I was likely heading for sub 7:15 for the first mile, and thanks to an OCD level of Garmin checking, stayed closer to 7:30. Got pulled along a bit when Jamaar passed me, but went back to running pace....or at least pace-ish.



What went Wrong: Maybe not the smartest decision to run with my lungs not 100% back, but I felt that there was an expiration date on my training, so this was use it or lose it. I coughed for 5 minutes straight when it was over. Drank way too much and day-dreamed about peeing for most of the race.


So nothing more to say, other than this was the most fun I had running in ages. Good to see a bunch of running friends at the finish, and glad to have something to show for 15 weeks of training, other than just bitching about my pneumonia, and a Medoc t-shirt I'll likely never wear.


Splits:


7:26 / 7:28 / 7:27 / 7:35 / 7:18 / 7:22 / 7:10 / 7:26 / 7:15 / 7:36 / 7:34 / 7:22 / 7:37 / 1:08








No comments:

Post a Comment