Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Dear Current Marathon PR

Dear Current Marathon PR,

This isn't going to be easy. It's been almost 13 years we've been together. But I think it's time we go our separate ways.

This is hard, I know, 12+ years is a long time to be together.

I remember when we met, Scranton, PA 1998...Steamtown Marathon.I was young, it was only my third marathon, and I'm honestly surprised it lasted this long.

There had to be times you thought we'd be together forever. When I had given up running completely....when I had a 9 year layoff from marathoning....when I struggled just to finish my first few marathons coming back.

Then I guess things started to hit a rough patch. I felt I deserved better. Things were definitely rocky when I came within a few minutes of losing you at Tobacco Road '11, and you had to have seen the signs....more mileage, lower weight, knocking out some quicker times in training.

Having said all that, I hope this isn't a surprise to you.

This is goodbye. Forever.

If it makes you feel any better, just know that this is likely just a rebound relationship, and I'll be with a new marathon PR in the fall.

-Troy

No comments:

Post a Comment